The publication of federal and state documents has changed radically with the expansion of digital online platforms and the gradual retrospective conversion of older publications from various material formats to digital formats posted online. The Library is currently assessing and weeding its paper, microform, and digital disk collections of federal and state documents as part of a larger project to integrate and enhance access to government information for academic and scholarly use.
Queens has been a selective federal depository library since 1939 and selects about a third of the items available through this program. Records for most materials received since 1985 can be found in the CUNY Catalog. Consult the Monthly Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (Ref. Abstract Index Area, 3rd floor) to identify material not included in the CUNY Catalog.
Queens has also been a depository for New York State publications since the 1950s and a full microfiche depository since 1989. Microfiche production was phased out and the library now receives only a small quantity of reference and other titles in paper. Most New York State documents are available in electronic form and can be located through the New York State Library Catalog or the New York State Government Information Locator Service.
So that the Library can assist you in finding the Depository items you need, please call the Borrowing desk ahead of time at (718) 997-3702 to schedule an appointment.
Locations of U.S. Government Documents in Rosenthal Library
- Documents Collection—Level 1 (Temporary)
- Paper documents arranged by Superintendent of Documents call number (CUNY Catalog location: Queens Documents).
- Microfiche Documents—Level 1
- Microfiche documents arranged by Superintendent of Documents call number (CUNY Catalog location: Documents Microfiche).
- CD-ROM, Media Center—Level 1
- CD-ROM documents arranged by Superintendent of Documents call number (CUNY Catalog location: Media Ctr. Documents).
- Periodicals—Level 1
- Periodicals shelved with main periodicals collection by Library of Congress call number (CUNY Catalog location: Queens Periodicals Stacks or Queens Microform-Microfiche Periodicals). Microfilm periodicals filed with other microfilm periodicals arranged by title (CUNY Catalog location: Media Center Microfilm Periodicals).
- Reference Collection—Level 3
- Books shelved with main reference collection arranged by Library of Congress call number (CUNY Catalog Reference or Desk Reference).
For assistance in locating government documents in the Library, ask at the Information Desk on Level 3.
For assistance in selecting or using Governments Documents, contact our Library’s Research Services.
For more information, please contact: