CUNY Books & Media (CLICS Inter-Campus Services)
Do you need a book that's not at the Queens College Library? You may be able to request it from another CUNY campus! Use the book delivery service called CLICS (CUNY Libraries Inter-Campus Services).
How it works
- Go to the Library homepage, and use the CUNY Catalog form.
- Click on ALL CUNY Libraries and search for a book.
- Choose the CUNY library from where you’ll request the “regular loan” and “on-shelf” copy of the book.
- Click on the “Request A Copy” button of the on-shelf item, enter your ID barcode and then choose your pick-up location.
It's that simple!
Check your “My Account” in the CUNY Catalog to see if CLICS requested items are “On Hold” meaning they are available for you. The CUNY libraries at BMCC, Bronx, City College, Hostos, Lehman, Medgar Evers, New York City Tech, and York are not yet configured to send email messages regarding borrowed items. If you request items from these libraries, you must check “My Account” to see when it is ready for pick up, or “On Hold” for you. If an item is “In Process” it is still en route.
Active QC email accounts are the most reliable way inter-QC messages are sent and received. The libraries require that users use their QC email accounts for CLICS services. Currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff should activate them at the CAMS website.
Books requested from the Hunter Health Professions and the School of Social Work libraries will require additional delivery time since they are first sent to the main Hunter Library.
CUNY undergraduate and graduate students, faculty members or staff members with an active, unblocked library account at one of the CUNY Libraries may use the service.
Regularly circulating books may be requested whether they are on the shelf or already checked out to another patron.
Some do's and dont's
- Return CUNY books to any CUNY library.
- Circulation and overdue fine policies of the lending library apply. Special materials such as musical scores, CDs, or videos are delivered via CLICS at the discretion of the individual CUNY library.
- Consult the CUNY Libraries Circulation Policies for current loan and fine policy information.
- Request circulating books from any library for delivery at any library EXCEPT the book's home library.
- CLICS only works for books going from one CUNY campus to another.
Other related news
Courtesy reminders will be sent to borrowers 3 days prior to an item's due date (make sure your CUNY Catalog “My Account” record has your current email address).
You can renew items online in the CUNY Catalog as long as they are not already overdue.
- Why can't I just use Interlibrary Loan service to request books from other CUNY Libraries?
- At some campuses you can do that, but CLICS is easier to use, faster, and is open to undergraduates. It also costs the libraries a lot less to fill book requests via CLICS. At campuses where you can use either CLICS or ILL, there may also be lower limits on the number of concurrent Interlibrary Loan requests or possible fees.
- Can I use CLICS from home?
- Yes. You can search and request from the CUNY Catalog using any browser from any location. The CUNY Catalog recognizes your home campus by your library barcode.
- How long will it take to get my book?
- That will depend on the day of the week and time of day you make your request. However, as part of the CLICS implementation, the CUNY libraries are all receiving daily inter-campus week day pick-up and delivery service. Our CUNY-wide goal is a 2-day turn-around, excluding weekends and holidays. Our ability to achieve this goal will depend on the volume of requests as well as staff availability. Note that books requested from the Hunter Health Professions and the School of Social work libraries will require additional delivery time since they are first sent to the main Hunter Library.
- What if something I requested using CLICS is missing?
- You will be notified if your request can't be filled by the library from which you requested it. You can try to request it again from another CUNY library.
- What if none of the copies listed in the CUNY Catalog are available?
- If copies of an item are out on loan, you can put a hold on one of the borrowed copies. You will be notified when it becomes available. If all the listed copies are missing or are unavailable for other reasons, you can request it through your local Interlibrary Loan service. Check with your library's Interlibrary Loan policies and procedures for eligibility.
- I have more questions. Where can I get additional information?
- Contact staff at the Circulation Desk at any of the CUNY Libraries. For individual library loan and fine policies, you can look at the CUNY Libraries Circulation Policies.
- Why didn't I get an email about my CLICS book?
- The following CUNY libraries - BMCC, Bronx, City College, Hostos, Lehman, Medgar Evers, New York City Tech, and York are not configured to send email messages regarding borrowed items. Please check “My Account” in the CUNY Catalog to see if CLICS requested items are available. Otherwise, messages from QC may have ended up in your junk mail or spam folders. Check these folders regularly.
For more information contact:
Circulation/Reserve Desk, 718-997-3702.
Prof. Simone Yearwood
Access Services Librarian